The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of. (Blaise Pascal)

Friday, January 21, 2005

Turn my life into just what I need

I have an hour before my philosophy class, so I figured I'd take the lull in activity to write a little update. Maybe. If I can think of anything to write. Ho hum...Math was fun today. I'm digging the multivariate calculus. It's sweet. But then again, I love math, so it's not surprising. I had an epiphany last night. I was thinking about what to emphasize on my math major (education, operations research, statistics, etc), and I realized that I am way to worried about making myself marketable. I did that in high school. If you were to look at my resume, you would see good grades and SAT scores, active involvement in academic competitions, athletics, my class activities, the fine arts program, my church and FCA, that I had really challenged myself in my classes by taking all the top classes my school offered, that I was an active leader among my peers, that I did a variety of volunteer work. If you met me you would probably see me as having decent communication skills, nice, family-oriented, etc. But if you were to know the deep desires and worries in my heart, you would know that I did a majority of those things because I wanted to make myself marketable to scholarship committees and colleges. And I guess it worked. I received a substantial amount of scholarship for this year, and was accepted to all the schools to which I applied. The thing is that a lot of the time, my heart wasn't in it. And I don't want my four years at Purdue to be about making myself marketable in the work force. I want it to be about learning and enjoying what I'm learning. I want to have a passion for what I'm studying. I love math, and I really like the class I'm in, and thinking about the classes I get to take in the next three years is exciting to me. I shouldn't have to give up that passion in order to put me in a better position to get a job, right? I have to take a check to Hovde before class, so I'm leaving. I'll write more later. Amy

3 Comments:

  • Amy, that's awesome! :) I've definitely worried about that too, and it's hard to do that, but it's so great that you can!! :) Thanks always for your help, I miss seeing you in band so much!!! Talk to you soon-Elizabeth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2005 03:49:00 PM  

  • Amy, I'm so sorry about dinner! I was at a TBS thing and I left my phone here. :( Alecia gave me the book though, so thanks a million!! Hopefully sometime this week we can work out a time to get together. See ya soon--Elizabeth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/23/2005 07:34:00 PM  

  • Very intersting post. Very thoughtful.

    Yeah, find something you are really passionate about and throw yourself into it. I love airplanes and things exploding and such, and I'm the complete band geek. Hence, my life is Aero Engineering and Tau Beta Sigma.

    Can't think of anything else to say, I'll see you in class :-)

    -G

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/24/2005 07:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home