May your days be merry and bright
Well, this is happy. My roommate and I are listening to the fifth Harry Potter book on cd. I love listening to books on tape. I love being read to. I remember being little, about six or seven, and my mom and dad took turns reading the Little House on the prairie books to me. I love those books. I still read them sometimes. I was even Laura Ingalls Wilder for Halloween in second grade.
There is something amazing about words. I realized this today as I was reading over some friends' blogs. I bet I could read some of them without being told the author, and I could identify who wrote it just because their voices come through when they write. It's so funny, because I'll be reading them, and I can hear their voice in my head reading their entry to me.
I always wondered if I could write a novel. I've tried plenty of times. I have notebooks filled with my feeble attempts to join the ranks of authors whom I so admire. I would always write a few pages, read over what I"d written, and decide that no one would ever want to buy it, because I didn't even like what I'd written. I'm a fickle being, if you haven't noticed. I'm very particular in an all-inclusive sort of way about the things I read. I like lots of types of literature: romance, comedy, tragedy, horror, science fiction, fantasy, and the list goes on. But even though I like so much, I can't read so much. There are some books I've began (not finished) that make me feel like, 'This person filled a whole bunch of pages with a whole bunch of words'. I can't read books like that. I feel like I'm wasting my time. I guess that's one reason why I read so many classics, like Pride and Prejudice and Dracula, because they've withstood the test of time, and I guess I feel like they are more worth my while. That's also why I'm not an English major. I don't like people forcing me to read something that I abhor. (Have you ever had to read Sister Carrie?). I'm eclectic. What can I say?
Amy
Quotable Quote: 'Can you use it by itself? Like can you say, 'Ah, miffed'?' Grace Murphy, upon her introduction to the word 'miffed'.

2 Comments:
oh my mom loves Laura Ingalls Wilder, actually i was named after her! i don't know about you but i love to write - it's almost like a crutch. not like writing in my lj, b/c that's just stupid. like i write words to a rhythm that doesn't exist except for my in head, yes yes very weird i agree. i really have trouble expressing my thoughts when speaking, but when i write stuff down that's when i come alive. hmm well i'll stop before you dooze off!
see ya-
laura a
By
Anonymous, at 12/03/2004 02:36:00 PM
i love to write too, but i have absolutely no talent for it whatsoever. i can completely relate to writing pages and pages and then deciding that i don't have a chance at actually publishing anything, so it gets trashed. it's a nice way to relax though. i use it as a way to let off the stress. the flow of words just seems to calm me down. anyway, i thought i'd let you know that you definitely aren't alone!
By
Rachael, at 12/03/2004 08:33:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home