The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of. (Blaise Pascal)

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

It's the beauty of simplicity that fills me with eternity

Hmmm...Well, I'm at work, but my bosses are interviewing a woman, so I'm taking a break. Here I am, at Purdue, working. Not much longer, though, only three and a half more weeks, then a week after that and I'll be on my way to Traverse City. For Eight Whole Weeks. Let me tell you, I'm a little nervous. It'll be the longest amount of time I've been away from home. During school, I at least saw one of my parents once a week. I was away for a month when I went to France, so at least Traverse City is closer to home. I mean, you don't have to cross an ocean to get there.
Being home has been good so far. It's nice to be able to do the family thing. I really love them all. Katie had a concert last night, and the boys have a baseball game tonight (yesssss! Go Cubs!) I'm really running low on clean clothes though, for work at least. I'd better do more laundry tonight, or I won't have anything to wear to work tomorrow. Maybe I'll wear a skirt or something.
I'm reading Exodus this month. God just appeared to Moses in the Burning Bush. I've kind of realized that I really want to understand the Biblical concept of a leader. I figure Moses is pretty cool. I mean, he made some mistakes, but other than that, and maybe some other things, he was definitely leader. So that's a goal. Hopefully I'll learn even more on Project this summer.
Another thing I've been learning is that I think it may be inevitable that I'm going to be a high school math teacher. I've been denying it for so long, but I may as well come to terms with it now so that I don't have to go to college an extra year, which I doubt I'll be able to afford, since tuition is going up. Two years in a row. Sigh. God's going to have to pull some strings for me, because I don't see where the extra money is coming from. God understands finances though. He has this knack of providing.
Well I'm going to file some more software or something.
Amy
P.S. For Heaven's sake, leave a comment!

2 Comments:

  • I was going to post this earlier, but Blogger was down for maintenance:
    Glad to hear you're having a good time at home. Don't worry about being homesick on project, you'll have a great time and will be too busy to miss home much.
    Have fun at the game tonight, nothing like the good old American pastime to relax with during the summer.
    Moses is a great example of a leader, even in his failings (not that his failings were good, mind you, just that they are examples we can learn from). The thing I've discovered about leadership, both from studying Moses and the parts I've learned the hard way (from life), one crucial aspect of being a leader shines through. You probably already know this, but I want to highlight it. Numbers 12:3:
    "(Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth.)"
    That's something I see in all the best leaders: humbleness (Chip is a fantastic example). One thing to remember is that being humble is not being weak, as we sometimes perceive. A key component of being humble is being meek, a controlled power (like a reigned horse, incredibly powerful but under control). So seeking to become a better leader is partially seeking to humble oneself.
    I don’t know if that helps your thoughts any, but it has meant a lot to me. Anyone else care to add anything?

    By Blogger Shawn, at 5/11/2005 12:40:00 AM  

  • Absolutely right Kathy, both about being a good math teacher and being a servant. What do the rest of you readers think? Come on people, leaving a comment is easy; so get on with it already!

    By Blogger Shawn, at 5/11/2005 07:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home