Just take me to your leader, son
I was commenting in an e-mail to Keri more about what I'm learning in my adventure through Exodus, and I thought I'd share some here. Here is my latest revelation: Pharoah is a really bad leader. Yep. I didn't even notice until chapter nine, but he is. Just goes to show that you can not only learn how to be a good leader from a good leader (Moses), but you can also learn how to be a good leader by learning why a bad leader is bad. Why is Pharoah a bad leader? He is just plain selfish! He cares nothing for his crops, livestock, land, or his people. You would think that after a few plagues, he'd get a grip and be all "I think this Moses guy is serious, and his God means business. I think I'll let the Israelites go before anything worse happens, such as my eldest son dying". But no, silly Pharoah and his hard heart. So I guess that makes today's lesson: be soft hearted!
Furthermore, I now have a flat panel monitor at work and I love it! I wonder if my boss would notice if I took it with me to Traverse City...Also, I'm officially majoring in 75T, which is Math Ed. I saw my advisor yesterday and we tweaked my schedule. The only rough part is that now I don't need any more foreign language, but I'm really wanting to go to Italy next year, so I'm shoving in two more Italian classes in the next two semesters, which don't count for anything, not even gen eds. But I don't really care. I'd rather take the Italian and Maymester a course or two, than skip out on a class that I enjoy, and one that will be of aid should I go abroad. I'm also taking Marching Band, as well as Linear Algebra, Intro to Real Analysis (which is learning how to prove things) and Geometry. That's it. Nine hours of math, three or four of language, and two of music. Just a tad lopsided, but again, oh well. Then hopefully my junior and/or my senior year, I'll teach a section of MA 153. I'm excited about that, especially because they pay you $1000 to grade the homework. Plus you get really awesome teaching experience before you student teach.
That's about all I have for today.
Amy
P.S. Leave a comment!

1 Comments:
*Attack of the Long Comment!!*
I'm online the majority of the workday everyday, and Amy's on occasionally but I haven't seen Ruth on in recent memory.
Yeah, being soft hearted is a huge part of being a good leader. It shows people that you care about them and that you want what's best for the group instead of just yourself. A word of warning: One of the times that's hardest is when you, the leader, realize that the best interest of the group is in the opposite direction from where they want to go, so to do the right thing you have to pit yourself against the group (a very unpopular position). It's very easy for people to misinterpret your actions as being self centered in those sorts of settings and the only real insurance you have against it is to have built a reputation as a soft hearted and humble leader so that they will have learned to trust you. To put it in context (though a little ahead in the story); how many times did Israel want to turn back to Egypt instead of following Moses (and later Joshua) toward the Promised Land?
Flat panel, nice! I bet that clears up a lot of desk space for you. Personally, I can’t stand the things, but I can see why it would be perfect for you. Sometime I’ll have to get a picture of my desk here and put it up, I’m now up to 3 (yes, three) monitors in an extended desktop setting like what I had at school. Sure, it dominates the desk, but my job is almost entirely on the computer, so why not? *Amy rolls eyes*
Teaching a section of MA153 or just TA-ing (grading homework)? I’ll grant you, for $1000 it doesn’t really matter, but if they let you actually teach the class it would be seriously cool.
By
Shawn, at 5/18/2005 09:08:00 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home