This is Russian Radio Here
So basically, I'm at work, and there is not much to do. There is always inventory, but I don't think there are any vehicles in to drive to BSG or TMB, and I don't really want to start that before lunch anyway. Hence, I'm at my desk, blogging away.
Traverse City is merely two and a half weeks away! I really can't comprehend that! I only have five and a half days of work left here, and I'm glad. I'm always sad to leave work here, because the people I work with are really nice, and I like them, but in all honesty, I hate cubicles! Oh, well. Almost done, and then I'll be working in a hotel, or a McDonalds, although the JC Penney's up there is hiring, so I might apply there. Or maybe at Borders just for the heck of it.
I met Kathy at the zoo! It was pretty much amazing. I'll post some pictures when I have a free moment (not likely). We watched the baboons play, and watched kindergarteners break dance (or try, they were really cute), and had a good long chat. Smiles!
Yesterday was fun-I went to dinner with Teresa and Maria, and we made up a fun story about Lauren's Bible (those silly crocodiles), then we had Cell Group, which was really good. We're studying Hebrews, which is kind of a tough book, but it's going well. And we socialized a bit after study, then I drove home and it was nearly ten o'clock, so I went to bed.
I have yet to wrap my mind around all of the things I need to get done. I think I'm going to sign off and make a list or something, because I keep forgetting.
Notes on leadership: As Jethro, Moses' father-in-law (I had no idea his name was Jethro), pointed out, distribute the tasks and don't take everything on yourself. Plus, you won't always be around, so you need to be bringing up people who can take over. Plus, it significantly reduces stress. That's a biggie for me, because a lot of times I try to do everything myself.
Amy

1 Comments:
I understand what you mean about cubicles, I hate them too. Granted, I’m not in one now (instead I have the windowless basement, so think of it has a big cubicle), but I used to work in one when I was working for SPS in Hovde. I hope you can find a job you will really like on Project, which would make the trip even better. That said, I can see you really enjoying flipping burgers, so I don’t imagine it will be too hard to get a job you like.
Running it to Kathy is way cool! Get those pictures up soon; I’m having a hard time imagining kindergarteners try to break dance. I bet it was hilarious!
Have fun in Hebrews. I’ll agree that it’s kind of tough, but you can certainly get a lot out of it if you girls put in the effort (which I’m sure you’ll do with enthusiasm). I’ve found that some of the toughest passages are some of the most rewarding (an especially good example is Romans). Are you girls doing it with any sort of book or study guide or just doing it on your own?
You’re on to something there with the importance of delegating. I’ve found that one of the most difficult parts of delegating is deciding what things to delegate and what to do yourself. You don’t want to delegate too many easy, mindless tasks so that people don’t walk away feeling like their role was unimportant, but you don’t want to give away too many important tasks for fear of overloading people. In the past, I’ve tended to err on the side of the latter option, giving away tasks that are too important. Why is that an error? A lot of the time (certainly not all of the time), the people who *seem* really reliable and hardworking (when you’re first getting to know them) who get those tasks oftentimes don’t pull through. Part of the principle of delegating things is that you give people the responsibility, so if they don’t get something done they have to deal with the consequences. When you give them a task that *absolutely, has to get done* and they don’t pull through, you’re left having to do it yourself and they don’t learn the lesson. For example, recently I was part of an event (which I won’t detail so as to not implicate anyone) where a guy was put in charge of getting us a room to hold the event in, but then he didn’t try to get the room in time for the building staff, so the night of the event came and we had no room and a lot of people relying on us. So be careful to delegate tasks that have meaning and are worth doing, but in most cases you can survive if they don’t get done.
Well, we’re about to leave for our weeklong trip, so I won’t talk to you again until you get back from Project. If you have net access while you’re there please try to keep us updated via your blog. You might find it interesting that while I was at the library searching for reading material for the trip, I found a book that was a single volume compellation of all five books in “the increasingly misnamed trilogy”. Have fun on Project! (wow, just realized my comments are longer than the original post, sorry for hijacking your blog) :)
By
Shawn, at 5/27/2005 09:42:00 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home