Up and down the produce aisle
I went grocery shopping today. Real, true grocery shopping, on my own, I think for the first time ever. As I entered the store, I looked at the list I had carefully prepared twenty minutes before, and remembered how Mom had the store layout memorized, and could organize her list so that she never had to back track. I carefully set forth, making sure to read every sign over every aisle, so that I could find what I was looking for. I took my time, carefully contemplating whether I wanted large or small curd cottage cheese, and it was a bit of adventure trying to find the spices, but I did it. I found it all! I even made it through the check out line, and while my receipt lacks several, several inches on Mom's, I still felt proud of my work.
Of course, I have many improvements to make. For instance, I forgot to check the sell-by date on the ricotta cheese, and some of the pasta may be damaged. But as I climbed into the mini van I am currently using to transport myself, I thought of the many many opportunities I will have in my life to shop for groceries. Maybe in a few years I'll have the store memorized so that I can organize my shopping list. Who knows! I have to say, I feel a teeny bit more grown up today.
Amy

1 Comments:
Eww, I'm bad at grocery shopping!! I get so lost...hehe, congratulations on figuring it out. :) See you at band on Monday!!
Elizabeth
By
Anonymous, at 8/27/2005 12:40:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home